Thursday, August 13, 2009

Flop Show

Since my childhood i had lots of keeda in me. Tinkering with things, fixing stuff .. I thought I would be a newton ...when I grow up. Well I think that the apple (or peru as I am indian) should fall on the right spot. Or mebbe I still did not grow up :). Now I am going to take you down my memory lane and show you all the places where I goofed up while being a wannabe scientist :P

Micromouse:
Well micromouse is a robot like thing which guides itself though a maze. It was something every engineering student wanted to make. Me and few friends from college got together and the project kicked off.The electronics were designed by none other than me. All others had awesome awesome expectations: One asked whether it would be too fast. One was planning what he would do with the prize money. When we finally soldered the last piece of wire, ... lo and behold ..nothing happened...nothing ever happened.... we went to the micromouse event... leched at some hot chicks...had a nice time and came back.

Train: This was our ninth standard science project. We saw in some book about a toy locomotive which we could make with very basic stuff. Me and my school friends Chaitanya, Tushar, Varun took up this ambitious project. We underestimated our trains weight and overestimated the power of the teeny weeny electric motor. The only time the wheels used to rotate was when I picked up the train in my hand :( We had no time nor patience to add up a motor or do anything to it.. Wild ideas were being thrown in.. like distracting the teacher to look elsewhere and we kicking the train so that it moved. Finally Tushar suggested that we could pick up his sisters last year project and show it as ours... It was a huge blow to our ego..But just few hours before the submission we refurbished the old one.. and hoped that it looked like new. The teacher liked the project so much that she wanted to put it up in the science exhibition. :)
Nahiiii!! said Tushar. He explained that that project had already won last year and the only reason we were not caught was that this teacher was a different one. In exhibition it would definitely be caught.
We decided to act smart and told the teacher that the project broke while taking it home and it already had been thrown in the garbage..phewwww

MiniProject: Well this project was done in my engg college. The project was a simple database project. During the testing of the project we put in funny names in the database. when it was the time for the demo, we proudly showed off our system.. First entry: ass
Second entry: Choo$%^&. Our face became pale and we quickly sped through the demo. Nothing happened :)

Radio: Well I fancied a wireless headphones which i saw on the net. Supercool stuff.. But it was available only in amrikaaa. So we decided to build an indigenous one. So we thought. Me and my friend Chintan went to budhwar peth.. no no not because its a a red light area.. but because its a wholesale market of electronic components. We saw a circuit on the net and decided to make it ourself. The total cost was around 500 for all the parts. It was huge money back then. we got it home... happily soldered the parts... That bloody thing never worked.. :'( Next time when we went to the same area (actually for buying parts for micromouse ;) ) we saw that the same working one was availabe for sale for .... rupees 30 ..waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Fireproof paper: Well this one takes the cake. Again in school. Again for our science project. Those were the days when there was not internet for us. We used to rely on some super outdated books for our projects. I read up somewhere that I could make .......a paper fireproof. Hoodibaba
So confident I was with the idea that we did not move our ass a bit till the last date. The project was simple.. Apply alum on a paper. It will become fireproof.Just a day before the submission, I realized that the grocers did not understand what alum meant and I did not know the word in Hindi/Marathi. So I called up my proj partner and told him to do the handiwork. Next day our apparatus was ready. I delivered the introductory 'speech'. I claimed that in future all the special documents will use our technique. The teacher looked quite impressed. I took a match stick, lit it up and declared "This is our fireproof paper!" and tried to put it on fire. The paper was turned into ashes within seconds. I immediately burst into laughter. The teacher`s face was worth seeing. so was my proj partners. Then I realized the gravity of the situation and I was upset that the project did not work. I actually blamed my partner that he did not put enough alum on it.

Thomas Edison said "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Well I am still trying to find the count where i can stop and frame my quote :D

3 comments:

Sid 'Ravan' Kabe said...

heh heh heh...didn't u put a library system for mini-project and try to sell it to the college..:P

Piya said...

awesome....especially radio one..ha ha ha..I can imagine your and chintan's face at Rs-30 stuff item...hahaha

Anonymous said...

was that micromouse event at IIT?

Post a Comment